Smoky S'mores - This recipe is enough to make a tray of Smoky S'mores. You will also have plenty spare caramel for other delicious things!
For the marshmallows:
14g powdered gelatine
450g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
25g icing sugar
For the smoky caramel:
150g caster sugar
150g smoked sugar
75g unsalted butter
200ml double cream
75ml golden syrup
For the base:
50g dark or milk chocolate
3-4 crushed or blended biscuits of your choice
1. Heat caster sugar with 25ml of water in a pan until it turns reddish brown
2. Remove pan from heat and add the butter, smoked sugar and cream and bring to the boil
3. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for approx 4 minutes or until it reaches 113ºC. For a firmer caramel continue to 127ºC.
1. Place gelatine and 100ml of cold water into a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the caster sugar and 175ml of cold water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring continuously until sugar dissolves.
3. Reduce heat and simmer mixture gently for 15-20 minutes until sugar syrup has reached the soft boil stage - sugar themometer reads 113ºC/235ºF
4. As soon as the sugar syrup reaches the correct temperature place the softened gelatine and water into a food mixer and blend on the lowest setting. Gradually pour in the sugar syrup until it is fully mixed.
5. Add vanilla extract and blend on a higher setting for 15-20 minutes until mixture has thickened.
6. Line a tray approx 20cm square with parchment paper, lightly grease and dust with cornflour and icing sugar mixed.
7. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the tray and drizzle the Smoky Caramel (quickly heat to soften if required) on top creating swirls. Set aside to cool for 1-2 hours.
8. Once the marshmallow has set, cut to desired size, melt some chocolate in a bowl, crush/blend your biscuits and have ready on a saucer. Dip each marshmallow in the chocolate then dip into the biscuit crumb. Set aside on parchment paper until the chocolate has set.
9. Eat and enjoy your delicious Smoky S'mores! Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.